Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Well, a Decision Had to be Made

I learned of several wonderful knitting related opportunities taking place in the Baltics this coming summer and a decision had to be made.  Should I attend the Mitten Conference in Riga, Latvia in June?

Or should I return to Estonia for the Estonian Craft Camp being offered by the University of Tartu in July?  


I was being drawn in both directions but I have made the decision to return to Estonia.  Oh, yes, AND to return to Latvia, too, although I will miss the Mitten Conference and will need to make my own knitting connections in Latvia.  This sounds like a new adventure and I look forward to sharing it with you.

In the meantime, I've been practicing my Estonian knitting skills.  Here's my recently completed Mulgi style mitten inspired by Kristi Jõeste's glove and mitten book, Ornamented Journey.  Kristi's Mulgi mitten on page 36 was knit with .7 mm (US 000000) needles and had 172 stitches around the hand.  I simplified and used 1.25 mm (US 0000) needles and had 120 stitches around the hand.  The tiny stitches were a challenge (15 sts/inch or 60 sts/10 cm) but the puncturing needle tips were a bigger challenge.


2 comments: