Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chinchillas in Estonia?

This story begins in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, and ends up in Estonia.  Last fall, my knitting friend, Sandy, and I did a presentation about a trip to Estonia for the Door County Learning in Retirement Program.  Nancy, who attended the lecture and slide show, put us in touch with her Estonian neighbor, Gretel.  Gretel suggested contacting Avelin, her Estonian friend who lives in Michigan and owns Baltic Inspirations Inc., a knitwear import business.  I met Avelin at an Old World Christmas Market in Elkhart Lake last December.  Avelin told me that her sister-in-law was a knitter and lived in Estonia.  Lii, Avelin's sister-in-law, invited me to visit her and see her home in the country.


So as I travelled from Saaremaa and Muhu back to Tallinn, I got off the bus at Riisti, got picked up by Lii, and went to her home where I met Taidus, Avelin's brother, along with their children, Lii's mother, and the various rabbits and chickens that Lii raises.  Lii made a wonderful pirukas (meat pie) and we enjoyed chatting about Estonia, knitting, their family, rabbits, chickens, gardening, pirukas, and various other topics.


Lii offered to let me choose a rabbit pelt from her collection and I came home with a Chinchilla rabbit pelt - it is SO soft!


It was a thoroughly enjoyable day that took me to the home of some very welcoming Estonians.

No comments:

Post a Comment